The Williamsport Municipal Water Authority (WMWA) is committed
to its fundamental objective of providing water service of the highest
quality for drinking, industrial and general municipal uses at a
reasonable price to Williamsport and the surrounding communities.
To meet that
objective, the Authority will adhere to the following principles:
The use of the
highest quality water sources; protection and wise management of its
treatment and distribution of water for public health, safety and
Providing for future
growth to ensure the long-term success of the area,
Providing prompt and
effective customer service,
organization with qualified professionals, and
excellence with each employee participating as a team member to
continually improve the performance of the organization.
Water Company was first organized in 1856.
The company changed
ownership many times. In 1864 it became the Lycoming Gas and Water
Company. In 1879 it became the Citizens' Gas and Water Company. In
1884 control was passed to the Williamsport Water Company. In 1927
the company was sold to Community Water Service Company of New York
City. In 1934, during the Depression, the Chemical National Bank
and Trust company became the owner. In 1945, John H. Ware, Jr
acquired control over the former Williamsport Water Company by
purchasing the common stock from the Chemical National Bank and
In June 1946, the
Williamsport Municipal Water Authority was incorporated under the
Pennsylvania Municipality Authorities Act and the company was
operated by the Municipal Management Company. On September 30,
1967, the Municipal Management Company relinquished its agreement to
manage the Authority, and the water facilities from that point on
have been operated by
local management and personnel.
Municipal Water Authority is under the direction of a ten-member
Municipal Water Authority Water Treatment Plant was
officially commissioned on September 9, 1992. The total cost of the
project including engineering, inspection, and financing was 25
million dollars. The plant is
designed to filter and treat the surface water supplies for the
Greater Williamsport Area, serving a population of over 51,000
residents in the City of Williamsport, the Borough of South
Williamsport, the Borough of DuBoistown, Loyalsock Township, Old
Lycoming Township, and Armstrong Township.
The WMWA maintains a groundwater
treatment facility, which is a supplemental water supply.
American Water Works Association (AWWA)
The American Water
Works Association (AWWA) is an international nonprofit scientific
and educational society dedicated to the improvement of drinking
water quality and supply. Founded in 1881, AWWA is the largest
organization of water supply professionals in the world. Its more
than 50,000 members represent the full spectrum of the drinking
water community: treatment plant operators and managers, scientists,
environmentalists, manufacturers, academicians, regulators, and
others who hold genuine interest in water supply and public health.
Membership includes more than 4,000 utilities that supply water to
roughly 180 million people in North America.
Water Environment Federation (WEF)
The Water Environment Federation mission
is to deliver high quality products and services to members and
stakeholders, promote and advance the water quality industry and
benefit society through protection and enhancement of the global
Back to top