History of the Sanitary Authority
Williamsport Sanitary Authority (WSA) was created in 1952 with the purpose of treating the sanitary sewage and compatible industrial wastewater of the Greater Williamsport Area.
In 1953, the WSA constructed its two wastewater treatment plants for primary treatment.
$1,133,000 was spent to acquire the city sewer system which in turn furnished the funds for major storm conduit projects to remove much of the storm water from the system
Plants upgraded to secondary treatment in 1974.
Value of total system has grown to over $40,000,000.
WSA operates and maintains the sewer collection system within the City of Williamsport including three pumping stations.