The Creation of the Williamsport Municipal Water Authority
- In 1927 The Williamsport Water Company was sold to the Community Water Service Company of New York, which in turn, during the Great Depression of the 1930s was sold to John H. Ware, Jr. Who controlled the American Water Company.
- In 1941, The City of Williamsport created a water company, and in 1945, arranged for the purchase of the WWC assets at $5,648,296 from Ware, whose company was to operate the system until full payment was completed
- Under the new Pennsylvania Municipality Authorities Act, in 1946, the City created and chartered the Williamsport Municipal Water Authority (WMWA) to own the water system under Ware’s management company operation, and in 1950, the old WWC passed out of existence
- The West Third Street wellfield pumping station was electrified and replaced the original steam pumping station in the early 1950s
- Fluoridation of the water began in 1966 in order to help prevent tooth decay
- Finally, in 1967, the contract with Ware’s Municipal Management Company was terminated, the operation of the WMWA was taken over by the WMWA Board and local management, and a number of system upgrade projects and expansions began This completed the City’s long process to own and control its public water supply system
see Attached file for more information about The History of the Williamsport Municipal Water Authority and Watershed